The Commonwealth Center for Advanced Manufacturing (CCAM) is seeking a Systems Principal Research Engineer to work with multi-disciplinary project teams to perform, lead, and guide technical execution of projects that solve key manufacturing challenges.
At CCAM, our systems researchers work directly with multi-disciplinary project teams to understand key manufacturing challenges and determine how digital technologies can be used to solve them. This includes problem assessment & technology evaluation, technology development & testing, application development and testing, automation, integration, prototyping, and more. Our team members work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment on multiple projects at a time, collaborating with contributors from different companies, industries, disciplines, teams, government entities, and universities.
- Advanced degree in computer, electrical, or mechanical engineering (or similar)
- Experience relevant to manufacturing data & automation systems
- Experience with software engineering and design/implementation of system architectures
- Awareness of manufacturing automation standards, programming, and technologies
- Familiarity with database design, development, integration, and/or administration
- Familiarity with the implementation of advanced analytical and control techniques such as statistical process control, model predictive control, artificial intelligence, machine learning, deep learning, etc.
- This position requires access to technology or intellectual property that is subject to export control requirements. Candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license
- PhD in computer, electrical, or mechanical engineering (or similar)
- Experience designing and building systems of systems architectures
- Experience utilizing Industrial Internet of Things (IIOT) related technologies, such as MQTT, AMQP, OPC UA, DDS or Kafka
- Experience developing, configuring, querying, integrating, and administering relational and no-SQL databases
- Experience with cloud based data applications and data systems such as AWS, Azure, Mindsphere, Predix or C3
Individual Traits Key to Success at CCAM:
- Approaches work with a collaborative, team first mentality; proactive, positive with a can-do attitude.
- Genuine enthusiasm for the application of research to manufacturing processes.
- Excels at problem definition; able to work effectively with open ended or ambiguous problems and/or applications.
- Self-driven and results-oriented, with a clear focus on high quality of work performance.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; conveys ideas at both technical and non-technical levels; must be an active listener.
- Responsible and accountable; able to manage time, cost, and quality to meet project goals.
- Eager to gain new experience and learn new skills.
CCAM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. CCAM does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CCAM is the center of an ecosystem of collaboration with industry, government, and academia that is focused on helping manufacturers solve real world problems. CCAM works with its partners to develop and deploy new technologies that advance manufacturing and deliver business value. For many companies, joining CCAM can be the difference between being in front of new technology or behind the curve.
Our research focuses on building intelligence in manufacturing processes and systems by bringing experienced, multi-disciplinary teams together with advanced digital systems and manufacturing process capabilities as well as new technology to solve industrial challenges. Whether through new process development, process improvement, new technology development and insertion, system integration and automation, or advanced analytics and AI development, our teams deliver real, usable results. Active research threads include flexible and distributed manufacturing, adaptive automation, cooperative processing, advanced coatings systems, and intelligent repair and replacement through new technologies.
As an applied research center, CCAM has a very strong, multi-disciplinary resident staff that includes research scientists and engineers, skilled industrial technicians, university faculty, and engineering interns and graduate students. These teams work collaboratively with one another as well as with partner organizations to build new and effective approaches to challenges. Our teammates are highly skilled and innovative problem solvers that are focused on delivering value to our customers every day.
- Health, Dental, Vision insurance plan options; eligible on first of month following date of hire
- HRA – Health Reimbursement Account (employer funded, covers a portion of the medical deductible)
- FSA – Flexible spending Account (employee funded, pre-tax)
- 401k Retirement Plan – Employer contributes up to 10.5% of base salary annually; immediately 100% vested in employer contributions
- Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability (employer funded)
- 3 weeks paid vacation
- 2 weeks paid maternity/paternity/adoption leave