The Commonwealth Center for Advanced Manufacturing (CCAM) is seeking a Principal Digital Systems Research Engineer to work on collaborative teams with industry technical leaders, academic experts, and world-class researchers to develop and implement solutions for real-world challenges in advanced manufacturing. This is an excellent opportunity to apply your research experience to a variety of challenges and to be exposed to top companies while doing work that directly impacts manufacturing. CCAM is located in Disputanta, VA (just south of Richmond) and is a modern, world-class facility designed to enable employees to produce creative research solutions.
The Principal Digital Systems Research Engineer will lead the design, development and implementation of systems of systems (Intelligent Factory/ Digital Factory) engineering solutions. The successful candidate is a thought leader with extensive systems engineering and digital engineering knowledge who will support the development of CCAM’s technology roadmap in alignment with CCAM member needs.
In this role, the Principal Digital Systems Research Engineer will play an instrumental role in building and leading multi-disciplinary project teams to develop, test, and deliver solutions to industry customer partners that solve key manufacturing challenges. At CCAM, our Digital Factory researchers work directly with subject matter experts and process owners within manufacturing companies, as well as in government and academia, to understand their problems and determine if and how digital technologies can be used to solve them. This includes problem assessment & technology evaluation, technology development & testing, application development and testing, automation & integration, and more. Our team members work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment on multiple projects at a time, collaborating with contributors from different disciplines, teams, companies, and universities. Examples of day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Determine system and stakeholder requirements and communicate to a team of software developers, data scientists and subject matter experts.
- Provide subject matter expertise to CCAM members and engineering teams.
- Lead the design, development and implementation of Intelligent Factory systems of systems engineering solutions.
- Develop systems architectures, communication interfaces, query and API services, stand alone applications and data management systems.
- Engage with the Intelligent Factory community globally and locally to understand current innovations and emerging technologies.
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, electrical engineering, computer engineering or similar and 3 years of relevant industrial experience.
- Experience with systems of systems design and system architecture.
- Experience designing and implementing standards-based systems for manufacturing automation.
- Experience with database development and/or administration, including familiarity with both non-relational databases (such as MongoDB) as well as relational databases and Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Familiarity with manufacturing automation standards like ISA-95, ISA-99, IEC 62443, Industry 4.0 related standards.
- Experience with Industrial Internet of Things (IIOT) related technologies such as using MQTT, AMQP, OPC, UA, DDS or Kafka.
- Experience with cloud based data applications and data systems such as AWS, Azure, Mindsphere, Predix or C3.
Individual Traits Key to Success at CCAM:
- Approaches work with a collaborative, team first mentality; proactive, positive with a can-do attitude.
- Genuine enthusiasm for the application of research to manufacturing processes.
- Excels at problem definition; able to work effectively with open ended or ambiguous problems and/or applications.
- Self-driven and results-oriented, with a clear focus on high quality of work performance.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; conveys ideas at both technical and non-technical levels; must be a good listener.
- Responsible and accountable; able to manage time, cost and quality to meet project goals.
- Eager to gain new experience and learn new skills.
CCAM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. CCAM does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Health, Dental, Vision insurance plan options; eligible on first of month following date of hire
- HRA – Health Reimbursement Account (employer funded, covers a portion of the medical deductible)
- FSA – Flexible spending Account (employee funded, pre-tax)
- 401k Retirement Plan – Employer contributes 3% of base salary on a monthly basis; additional discretionary match determined annually
- Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability (employer funded)
- 3 weeks paid vacation
- 2 weeks paid maternity/paternity/adoption leave