The Materials & Process Engineering Intern will support CCAM’s research programs. Interns will help to ensure that projects are delivered on time, on budget, and with a high standard of quality.
IN THIS POSITION YOU WILL:
Manage data and maintain data integrity.
- Creating, Using, Manipulating Spreadsheets
- Pivot Tables
- Conditional Formatting
- Mathematical & Statistical Formulas
Survey and summarize current literature.
- Communication Skills especially Technical Writing
- Expect to Perform Literature Searches on topics with little prior knowledge.
- Summarize Literature Sources
- Create Written Documentation of Techniques Used & Work Methods
Gain more in-depth understanding of Surfacing & Material Research & Additive Manufacturing Processes.
- Will support new and ongoing thermal spray-coating process development.
- Design fixtures for thermal spray parts, robotics programming, surface preparation and coatings characterization.
- Perform basic sample preparation techniques.
CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS: The completed coursework section gives an overview of courses across the majors of Material Science & Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, or Industrial Engineering that give conceptual foundation for the internship project work. It is not expected for candidates to have taken all of these courses. It is important; however, the ideal candidate have a solid understanding of laboratory Sample Preparation.
*At a minimum, candidates must have partially (at least two years of academic credit) completed a scientific or engineering degree at an accredited university.*
Academic Major OR Area of Focus: Materials Science and Engineering; Chemical Engineering; Mechanical Engineering; Manufacturing Engineering; Industrial Engineering
Completed Coursework: Physics I with Lab or Engineering I with Lab; Physics II with Lab or Engineering II with Lab; Technical Writing or Technical Communication; Introductory Engineering Discipline Course
Technical Skills: Minimum familiarity with any of the following areas is desired: Additive Manufacturing, Machining, Data Collection & Analysis, Microscopy Experience, CAD, Simulation & Modeling, Python, Automation & Controls, Proficient in Excel, Familiarity with Python a plus.
*This position requires access to technology or intellectual property that is subject to export control requirements. Candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license.*
- Work independently towards an established goal without continuous oversight or assistance.
- Quickly grasp key concepts needed to attack difficult engineering and manufacturing problems.
- Maintain a positive, team-first mentality.
- Take ownership of projects.
- Development and application of scientific principles.
- Innovative, creative, technically complicated problem solving.
- Working outside of your comfort zone.
- Having fun while learning new things!
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should reference the position the applicant is applying for. For further information, please visit the CCAM website at http://www.ccam-va.com/.
CCAM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. CCAM does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetics, disability, or veteran status.