The Manufacturing Processes Intern will support CCAM’s research programs. Interns will help to ensure that projects are delivered on time, on budget, and with a high standard of quality.
IN THIS POSITION YOU WILL:
Improve understanding of basic manufacturing principles through:
- Learning the setup of basic maintenance and operating principles of various CNC equipment
- Learning basic metrology principles including GD&T and the operating principles of various inspection technologies
- Design fixtures and experimental testbed to apply design for manufacturing and minimum viable product principles.
Improve engineering problem solving skillset through:
- Setup and operation of data acquisition platforms for experimental data collection
- Application of simple data analysis using Excel and other native data acquisition applications
Improve technical communication skills through:
- Formatting and formal reporting and presentation of results
Work collaboratively with our researchers to:
- Design and implement machining solutions for our projects.
- Conduct data analysis help interface with our industry partners on project status communications.
- Develop concept and final design work, programming and program verification, interface with suppliers, and proposal / report writing.
CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS: The lists below are exhaustive, and we are only expecting the ideal candidate to have experience with at least two of the technical skills. The completed coursework section gives an overview of courses across the majors of Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Manufacturing Engineering, and Industrial Engineering that give conceptual foundation for the internship project work. It is not expected for candidates to have taken all these courses.
*At a minimum, candidates must have partially (at least two years of academic credit) completed a scientific or engineering degree at an accredited university. *
Academic Major OR Area of Focus: Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Manufacturing Engineering, Industrial Engineering
Completed Coursework: Physics 1 with Laboratory, Machines Laboratory, Engineering Problem Solving, Technical Writing/Public Speaking, Intro to Electronics/Circuit Analysis, Engineering Graphics 1 and 2
Technical Skills: Mechanical and Electrical aptitude, fabrication experience\manual tool experience, CAD (NX preferred), data analysis/manipulation in Excel, technical writing/public speaking.
*This position requires access to technology or intellectual property that is subject to export control requirements. Candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license.
- Work independently towards an established goal without continuous oversight or assistance.
- Quickly grasp key concepts needed to attack difficult engineering and manufacturing problems.
- Maintain a positive, team-first mentality.
- Take ownership of projects.
- Development and application of scientific principles.
- Innovative, creative, technically complicated problem solving.
- Working outside of your comfort zone.
- Having fun while learning new things!
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should reference the position the applicant is applying for. For further information, please visit the CCAM website at http://www.ccam-va.com/.
CCAM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. CCAM does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetics, disability, or veteran status.