The Commonwealth Center for Advanced Manufacturing (CCAM) is seeking a Digital Systems Research Engineer to work with multi-disciplinary project teams to develop, test, and deliver solutions that solve key manufacturing challenges.
At CCAM, our software engineers work directly with multi-disciplinary project teams to understand key manufacturing challenges and determine how digital technologies can be used to solve them. This includes problem assessment & technology evaluation, technology development & testing, application development and testing, automation, integration, prototyping, and more. Our team members work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment on multiple projects at a time, collaborating with contributors from different companies, industries, disciplines, teams, government entities, and universities. Examples of day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Work with a team to understand manufacturing challenges, document requirements, define plans to develop solutions, and achieve results
- Provide subject matter expertise to customers, collaborators, and teammates
- Design, develop, and implement engineering solutions for manufacturing challenges
- Develop systems architectures, communication interfaces, query and API services, stand-alone applications and data management systems
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer, electrical, or mechanical engineering (or similar)
- Two (2) or more years’ experience relevant to the role
- Experience with software systems design and architecture
- Familiarity with automation systems relevant to manufacturing
- This position requires access to technology or intellectual property that is subject to export control requirements. Candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license
- Advanced degree in computer, electrical, or mechanical engineering (or similar)
- Five (5) or more years’ experience working manufacturing automation systems and software
- Familiarity with manufacturing automation standards like ISA-95, ISA-99, IEC 62443, Industry 4.0 related standards
- Experience with Industrial Internet of Things (IIOT) related technologies such as using MQTT, AMQP, OPC UA, DDS or Kafka
- Experience with database development and/or administration, including familiarity with both non-relational databases (such as MongoDB) as well as relational databases and Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Experience with cloud based data applications and data systems such as AWS, Azure, Mindsphere, Predix or C3
Individual Traits Key to Success at CCAM:
- Approaches work with a collaborative, team-first mentality; positive, proactive, with a can-do attitude.
- Genuine enthusiasm for the application of research to manufacturing processes.
- Excels at problem definition; able to work effectively with open ended or ambiguous problems and/or applications.
- Self-driven and results-oriented, with a clear focus on high quality work performance.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, conveys ideas at both technical and non-technical levels; must be a good listener.
- Responsible and accountable; able to manage time, cost, and quality to meet project goals.
- Eager to gain new experience and learn new skills
CCAM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. CCAM does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
- Health, Dental, Vision insurance plan options; eligible on first of month following date of hire
- HRA – Health Reimbursement Account (employer funded, covers a portion of the medical deductible)
- FSA – Flexible spending Account (employee funded, pre-tax)
- 401k Retirement Plan – Employer contributes up to 10.5% of base salary annually; immediately 100% vested in employer contributions
- Life, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Short Term Disability, and Long Term Disability insurance (employer funded)
- 3 weeks paid vacation
- 2 weeks paid maternity/paternity/adoption leave